Are you in a hurry? On a budget? This recipe is for you, With 3 Kids Calvin is always looking to save time and money.
Making Budget recipes that are also Kid and Man friendly can be a challenge, but don’t fear this meal is fulfilling ( rawr for the guys!), Healthy, Quick and budget Friendly.
- 2 sausage ( of your choice) we used polish sausage
- 1 frozen bag of spinach ( or fresh 3/4 ounces) ( don’t like spinach? use broccoli)
- 1 small tub of cherry tomatos ( you can substitute for canned roasted tomato)
- 3/4 pounds of mushrooms ( can be canned)
- 1 box of Penne pasta ( you could use bowties for an even more kid friendly look)
- 1 bag of Shredded cheese ( your choice again but we used italian mix)
- 1 clove of garlic ( or garlic salt)
- 1 table spoon oil
- salt and pepper
- Optional Parmesan cheese ( or left over cheese you have from above bag for garnish)
- Optional ricotta cheese ( 1/2 cup)
** Preheat your owen to 350 Degrees **
SIDE: boil water for your noodles ( TIP: add a pinch of salt and a half of teaspoon of oil to the water), Add noodles when water boils
* slice your sausage, thin slices are best but you can do cubes too ( makes more)
* Warm up a big frying pan with a table spoon of oil ( we used virgin), you can also coat it quick with a cooking spray.
*place your sausage in the hot pan and fry for 5 minutes stirring, making sure the sausage doesn’t burn but browns on both sides a little, If you have not sliced your mushrooms do so and place them in with the sausage now.
*mince the clove of garlic and add to your frying pan. stir all until the mushrooms start to brown to your liking.
( defrost your spinach meanwhile)
*drain the spinach of most of the liquid place into the frying pan, mix all ingredients cooking still, dont worry if there is liquid from the sausage and mushrooms,
When the spinach is cooked in ( about 5 more minutes)
OPTIONAL : add 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese to the frying pan now.
Mix until the ricotta is blended in, if you are not using ricotta take the pan off the burner now.
your noodles should be done now, Shock your noodles with some cold water and drain.
You will need a deep baking dish, Place half of the noodles and half of the sausage mix into your Dish and stir once to combine both, Add some light salt and pepper, If you are using cherry tomatoes place a few around your baking dish, before you do pierce each tomato with a fork once, if you are using canned tomatoes drain well then spread tomatoes in the baking dish.
* TIP: if you don`t pierce the cherry tomatoes before baking they will fill up with hot juice, BE CAREFUL they will be super hot! If you do not like to bake your cherry tomatoes leave out till the end.
Spread an even amount of Italian cheese over the food in your baking Dish.
Repeat with your second half of noodles and Sausage mix this time add the noodles first into your frying pan to mix together before adding the second half to the baking dish. Add more tomatoes and cheese to the top.
Now that you are finished place your Baking dish into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes
Check after 10 minutes to make sure your cheese isn’t burning.
Dinner is DONE when HOT and Steamy.
Add to plates and garnish with Parmesan ( or your left over cheese of your choice)
you don’t like Hot cherry tomatoes you can garnish with a few that aren’t baked now.
TIP: Place leftovers into container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. was a great next day lunch